Monday, August 5, 2013

Conflict

I hate conflict. And I do my best to avoid them as much as possible, even when it comes my way. I tend to hate it so much, I get upset when I see people invoking and bringing conflict into their lives - be it strangers, friends or family. I suppose I'm not alone in this regard.

I hear neighbors and family arguing loudly, screaming at one another and fighting, and I get irrationally upset, even when it does not involve me. The voice in my head screams silently, trying to drown out the noise of the angry chaos, the shouting voices and arguments which go nowhere.

And what's worse - that's the best I can am willing to do. I don't want to get sucked up into the black hole of a conflict - specially not ones that don't originally involve me. I could always don my headphones and initiate a barrage of loud music to drown out the cacophony of argumentative voices. Maybe that's the best option.

Why can't people just get along with one another, without all that hatred and anger and discontent? Why can't people just give in a little bit, and try to be nice to one another, even if it is just an act, just so there is some semblance of peace in the world?

Sure, it's not easy - it never is. This, I know from personal experience - I tend to go to extreme lengths to avoid conflict - often at my own expense - but the peace and calm it brings are often enough to make me not feel bad about hurting my own cause.

Can't we just get along?

No comments:

Post a Comment